10 March 2009

Ratz

Understandbly with the changes the ratz have been a little unsettled, and reverted to disappearing as soon as I moved a muscle. I made contact with a fellow rat owner who lives in Luton and she said to feed them yoghurt initially from off a teaspoon but then put it on my knuckles as the 'girls' cannot open their jaws wide enough to bite down hard and the teaspoon was to discourage them from getting any biting satsifaction.

Well last night I decided to try the yoghurt on the knuckles and what do you know, they absolutely loved it; the bonus is that they are taking in my scent as a provider of something nice rather than me being scary and big to them. Enough so that Gus decided to explore the top of the cage, with the help of my arm to climb out of the cage, and she used the same mechanism to get back into it so I have high hopes of eventually getting the girls hand tame before too long.

PS for those that are interested when a rat is licking you it has quite a rough tongue, similar to a cat's tongue as it rasps rather than the softness of a dog.

Tickets are booked for France, spoken to Zeltus who is going to pick me up from the airport and another friend is taking me to Standstead save me having to pay the high costs of parking and the same friend is also going to look after the Ratz for me. Just waiting for the shopping list of things that Zeltus and his wife want me to bring over to them as they usually want a quantity of English provisions that you can't get hold of for love nor money in France.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Hogdayafternoon said...

Bet one of them is Cadbury's choccy! We love France. Off over in May for a week.

One to think about: Bike to the ferry; ferry to Bilbao (2 overnight snoozes and 1 full day on the ferry) roll off the other end and turn left, over the Pyrenees, down into Biarritz and then up through La Belle France. You can do it in a few days. Nice trip to get you back in the mood.

Kathy G said...

I'm glad to hear that the ratz have started accepting you. Thanks for the information about their tongues!

Sage said...

@hogday - you are making sense just that the thought of two nights on a ferry when I can be seasick on a mill pond fills me with dread... but yes it does sound great.

@Kathy - no one had told me either so it was an interesting finding out session

Elaine said...

Isn't it good to know that you have good frienjds who will take you to the airport, rat sit and so on, never mind being met at the other end.

Have a brill holiday in France.

Bet they want Marmite.

Annette said...

Hav a lovely holiday sage, you deserve it.
xxx

Dark Side said...

Have a lovely time in France Sage you well deserve it...xx

Janet said...

I'll be curious to know the list of things you can't get in France.
My niece has 2 rats and they're quite lovely little girls. My husband doesn't like to be in the same room with them, especially if they're out of their cage. :)
Glad they're taking to you.