17 March 2009

Happy Birthday!

Today is not only St Patricks Day, but also would have been Dad's 78th Birthday. I still miss him just as much as I have ever done but probably more so this year as I know he would have given me a hug and tell me all would be alright in the long run.

This picture of him was taken on a holiday to Ireland, and he was videoing a bit of film along the dingle peninsula on a windy day. We had a great 10 days touring from the South to the North West of Ireland and met many friendly locals; the food was good as well.

I have long wanted to go back and visit Ireland, and had planned on going this year in October but couldn't get the time off from work in order to make a reasonable weekend of it.

So when I used to get a birthday card for him, it was always with St Patrick in mind.. I loved the blessing :

May the road rise up to meet you.
May the wind always be at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face,
and rains fall soft upon your fields.
And until we meet again,
May God hold you in the palm of His hand.

Somehow it summed up the man that was my father. Happy Birthday Dad! xx

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a lovely tribute to your dad :-)

xx

Dark Side said...

Thats beautiful Sage, I still miss my Dad too and he died 19 years ago as of Feb just gone...I still think of him often..xx

Annette said...

This is a beautiful tribute to your father, sage.
{hugs}

Janet said...

This is lovely. My father would have been 71 this year, which is odd to think about.

St. Patrick's Day would be a fun birthday to have. That blessing was one of our favorites to sing as a benediction at the Methodist church. I cross-stitched it for my Mom a few years ago.

Anonymous said...

I miss my father too. That blessing was said at his funeral, and at my mother's too. It is a lovely one.