20 January 2009

You know when you are having one of those days..

Well Sunday was mine…

Because we didn't get back until very late on Saturday night (I think we arrived home in the wee small hours of Sunday morning) we had a bit of a lie in, and a lazy morning so dinner was to be the evening.

SOH and I had a nice breast of lamb in the fridge, I got the very sharp boning knife out and proceeded to dismember the ribs from the meat (leaving as little as I could on the bone) and then trimmed off the excess fat to leave a nice flat surface which I spread with garlic stuffing. Now I am not known for my dexterity with sharp knives or hot objects, which doesn't bode well in the kitchen but most of the time I can manage getting away with just the odd burn (or two) and a nick in the skin in places though I do have some interesting scars on my hands and arms from earlier 'incidents'

Can you see where this is going yet?

Well the lamb went well, the stuffing duly placed in and the lamb rolled and tied into a gurt big sausage shape with string.

SOH had peeled the potatoes, which were to roast in Duck fat (sorry this is not a diet zone) and also some carrots which were to roast in olive oil (they develop a lovely sweetness if you do this).. well the chopping of the potatoes into relevant sizes with a chopping knife went swimmingly well (they almost were all the same size, this is important as you want them to cook at the same time) but it was the fiendish carrots that had blood drawn.

SOH keeps the knives well and truly sharp, something I am fairly incapable of as I seem to blunt them worse than normal, anyway while I was cutting the last carrot into batons the knife slipped in my hand (that's my excuse anyway) and slid through my flesh like a hot knife through butter.. But did I swear… yep, all bleeped out in this post… grabbed some kitchen towel and applied pressure and elevated the aforementioned digit while musing what to do next.

SOH was upstairs getting his stuff ready for work, and I asked if he could come and give me a hand (not mentioning what for – don't be silly, didn't want to scare him), he grabbed the first aid box and put a dressing on… about 30 seconds later the blood is cascading through that one and down my wrist.. surprisingly as it is only about ½ inch long, the cut, not the digit. SOH then applied a pad, and over the top of that a large white bandage with orders to keep it dry, and apart from the tenderness it didn't manage to bleed through that.

The lamb tasted absolutely lovely, and was served with the potatoes, carrots and fresh savoy cabbage… mmmm

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Sage, you poor dear!
I love ya though gal. You go from tragedy promptly back to the delicate, important details of the final turn out of the meal. A woman after my own heart.

I'm hoping for the best for the recovery of your weekend and your finger. And if it keeps bleeding profusely, you might want to consider a stitch or three.

Elaine said...

Ah, Sage, I seem to have the same bother with knives. The meal sounds scrummy.

Nicey said...

You gotta be careful hun, I would leave it for the SOH, don't think that you can be trusted with sharp objects ; )
Laters

Nicey

Rach said...

Aw bless you, we have all done it I am sure, my sister is the worst though always does it big style when she does it stitches and the lot....the meal sounded gorg though...xx

dickiebo said...

Spare a thought for SOH. Poor sod had to eat the meal after seeing all that blood! So careless of you! Dear, oh dear!

SOH said...

I have been doing first aid for about 35 years so dont get put of my food ha. S is a bugger for cutting her self going to get her some child prof knives and forks.

Annette said...

I'm always cutting myself. Geoff is expert with plasters now, he's had a lot of practice....on me.
Meal sounded lovely though.

Anonymous said...

Ouch! Sounds like a nasty injury. Glad you managed to stem the flow of blood though.

The meal sounds absolutely delicious :-)

x

Kathy G said...

About a year ago I got my knives professionally sharpened--they were QUITE dull--and for several weeks I cut myself on a regular basis.

I'm glad to hear that you managed to stop the bleeding and get the meal on the table. I'll agree with everyone else that it sounds yummy.

The W.O.W. factor! said...

Oh Sage, that made my pinkie hurt all over again! Since I sliced the tip of it off this summer,there is no feeling in it so I try to keep that nail longer, hoping the yet to be determined knife, will attack IT before the flesh.
Hope yours heals up quickly!
~hugs~
Barb
(Hey...SOH typed! Cool... Hello SOH!)