11 December 2008

Mince Pies - Stage I

Today I am at home, in the kitchen making the pastry for the mince pies.. I need to make 144 on Saturday and I want to get a head start by making the pastry today. To give you an idea I will make 4 times the following recipe* as an absolute minimum.

200g plain flour
pinch of salt
125g butter, cut into small cubes
50g caster sugar
1 egg

Sift the flour and salt onto into a bowl leaving a well in the centre. Work the butter into the flour, rubbing it in until the texture is like fine breadcrumbs. In a separate container, beat the egg and sugar together until the sugar dissolves.

I work the ingredients together until it feels like it's about to come together and then I form a loose ball of dough (it's usually sticky enough to hold together very well) and then wrap it in cling film until Saturday when Stage II will commence.

I used to use a food processor to do it, until I broke it two years ago, but it is just as easy to do it by hand and saves on the washing up as well.

SOH is keeping watch over the proceedings, he is a little indisposed after an operation at the moment and not at work so he is keeping me company in the kitchen.

* The recipe comes from a book entitled Practical Cookery by Ceserani & Kinton... I got my copy in 1977 when I started working in a professional kitchen and it has stayed with me ever since. What I like about it is the fact that it shows you all the joints of meat in a particular animal, and how to cut it... just about one of the best books around I think for budding chefs.

6 comments:

Elaine said...

So sorry to hear about the op. Is he a help or does he just say manly things like "Wouldn't it be better if ..........?"

Nicey said...

I need the pictures and it could be like cooking with Gordon Ramsey !
Laters

Nicey

Lucy-Ruth said...

Thank you very much for commenting my blog.
I reall love your blog(s)! I especially liked your post on one of your other blogs, for Cornish Pastys! I will be passing it on to be Grandad as he thinks himself a bit of Pasty critic!! :)

Sage said...

@ Elaine

He is actually very good about it, and pain in general, though it must be very sore. Did have to worry last night when he had a light headed moment as picking him up would be difficult for me.

@ Nicey - Gordon Ramsey, might be a talented man, but a complete idiot at times. Pictures will happen as Stage II is in progress... orders will be taken afterwards :-)

@ Cuteluc - it was nice to visit your site too and I will be back - not a threat I promise.

Anonymous said...

Mmm, mince pies. Lovely! Though I don't envy you having to make that amount, LOL.

I shall look forward to seeing some pics ;-)

Thanks for your kind comment on my Christmas cake. I'm chuffed with how it turned out :-)

Enjoy your weekend!

Lins x

Kathy G said...

YOU'RE MAKING MORE THAN ONE HUNDRED PIES?!?!