22 May 2009

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

I will be thinking hard about my options this weekend, hopefully visiting a few employment agencies and hawking my CV around to try and get a job in Cornwall.

At least it will be a positive step in the right direction of where I want to be and why I want to be there.

Today I realised that even if I sell the house and move down without a job, if I have done some of the ground work earlier and make the contact with the agencies now I stand a better chance of picking up some temp work when I arrive rather than having to do that after getting to Cornwall. Also staying in with the agencies is a good thing when you may be dependent on them to find you work, though I haven't given up yet on the idea of getting a job beforehand.

Count of jobs applied for : 10,
Responses : 1 (for more information)

I also came to the conclusion that renting a house for 6 months, to give me opportunity to find a full-time job, was a damn good idea on my part, as dependent on work availability will also be a good indicator as to where to put down roots; though I have a hankering to live somewhere near Helston.

I just know that I want to be somewhere that has some facilities, ideally a library, swimming pool, supermarket, a good social scene (if you can count weighwatchers as a scene lol) and a good bus service as when I get older I may not always be able to use the car - not only that but hell, I paid my taxes for a reason!

I just need to ensure that the pot of gold from the house doesn't get eaten into as it will be needed to buy a house in the future even if it is something that isn't quite right, it should be therefore cheaper and the any spare money will be needed to make it what is required. So other than covering the rent/utilities and taxes, I plan on earning enough to cover as much as I can. You never know I might even start trading more on e-bay for extra pennies.

Does that sound like a plan?

This is Scary as hell, from my point of view, but I cannot contemplate staying here for the rest of my days when I have an opportunity to do something and in 10 years time I will be drawing a pension, and in receipt of a bus pass should I be lucky enough to survive that long and unless the stress of this puts me in a home for the bewildered early.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained as the title says.

Shortened version of plan

1. declutter
2. decorate
3. sell
4. move
5. happiness

4 comments:

Bernard said...

I do wish you luck. I had similar ideas but kept putting it off.
I now have my bus pass...I have almost finished the de-cluttering and am now into the redecoration phase. My reason to move will be to downsize rather than to change location. I like the "old familiar places" too much to move hundreds of miles away. Anyway...all the best....I'm sure you're right to do it before that bus pass arrives.

Joanne said...

I love your mantra:

1. declutter
2. decorate
3. sell
4. move
5. happiness

This is precisely what we did before our move to Cornwall, in that order - and it works I promise, so I know you will be fine. Yes it's scary to up sticks so drastically, but so very worth it.

We look forward to seeing you down here very soon Jo x

Hogdayafternoon said...

Renting is a good move. Puts you in a strong position. We rented when we moved here in 2006 and, with the hindsights now fitted, should've kept doing so, as we've finished the reason for moving here and want to vamoose elsewhere. Don't expect a quick sale but don't give up either. BTW, we have no idea where we're going!

Dark Side said...

Sounds like a good plan to me Sage, I am doing the decorating bit this weekend and next week, Living Room never been done since I have been here and its terrible..xx