09 November 2010

Word of the Week : Amaze

a·maze

–verb (used with object)
to overwhelm with surprise or sudden wonder; astonish greatly.
Obsolete . to bewilder; perplex.
 
–verb (used without object)
to cause amazement: a new art show that delights and amazes.
–noun

Middle English amasen, to confuse, stun, astonish.

1. astound, dumfound, stun, flabbergast. See surprise.
 
This follows on from Stupid being similar to Amazed.
 
I found this lovely quote on a website and thought to add it to this post
"A schoolmaster should have an atmosphere of awe, and walk wonderingly, as if he was amazed at being himself" Walter Bagehot (1826–1877), British economist, critic
I still wake up each morning enjoying my job, though at times I doubt my ability I try to do well and encourage my students to do their best.

No comments: