30 October 2008

Book Club - The Lollipop Shoes

We read Chocolat by Joanne Harris a while back, and the film was surprisingly good so I have high hopes of the book club choice which is a sequel to Chocolat call The Lollipop Shoes.


"Five years have passed since Chocolat, the story of a woman (or is she a witch?) who, with her six-year-old daughter, Anouk, blows into the stuffy little village of Lansquenet and opens her chocolate shop at just the wrong time – and in just the wrong place – incurring the wrath of the local priest and pitting Church against Chocolate.

Since then, things have changed. Vianne has another daughter, Rosette; Anouk has started secondary school; and the three of them are living in a rented chocolaterie in the Montmartre district of Paris. On the surface, life seems good; Anouk goes to school; Vianne has finally found a niche for herself. She is accepted within the community. She has learnt to conform; to blend in. The wind has stopped blowing – for a while"


I will admit that I didn't feel any qualms about not finishing A Suitable Boy, sometimes books aren't meant to be read at a certain point in life but left for another day.

5 comments:

Elaine said...

I enjoyed it. She (the author)is always a bit off the wall with her characters and stories

Dark Side said...

I have that problem with books too, I usually know within the first few pages in its going to be an unputdownable one or one that just get read a couple of pages at a time.

I have at least three on the go which are the latter..x

Janet said...

I have heard a number of people say they preferred this book to Chocolat.

AnneDroid said...

I didn't realise there was a sequel. I'll need to look out for it and read it. Better than "Chocolat", I liked "Blackberry Wine" by the same author. It's a bit different, but good.

The W.O.W. factor! said...

Hi Sage,
A book MUST catch my interest within the first few pages, if not the first few paragraphs...
I just might have to check into these.
I'm always wanting more books, but it's like Chinese food for me...someone else has to eat at the restaurant first and tell me about it before I'll spend the money. Let me know when you are done if it's worth it.
~Have a great weekend Sage~
Barb