19 July 2008

Normal Service resuming

I have taken a couple of days off from my normal mode of blogging, having posted a couple of jokes in advance as on Thursday I had the distinct unpleasure of having a chalazion (or Meibomian cyst) removed from my right eyelid; and not being able to focus in on anything except in a blur until today.

I'm not normally squeamish about many things, but people poking sharp objects in my eyes.. uh uh but this little chap (and truly only little but the cause of intense pain on occasion) was a pain in the proverbial so needed to come out.

I duly presented myself, ok so I was dragged to the local hospital by SOH, at the appointed time and after a wait in a hot waiting room (thankfully) with windows I was called to the appointed room. They put anaesthetic drops in your eye, which stings, and when that has taken affect they then inject a local in the outer part of the eyelid which is affected. I was a complete and utter wimp, holding on to a nice nurses hand (have I said how much I admire nurses recently? no, my apologies you really do make a difference) while the injection was put in which was eye watering and it hadn't recovered after the drops.

They then braced the eye open and shone a very bright light in your eye while getting you to look up into it... near impossible for a mole like me who hates bright lights all of the time. However it was over and done with in minutes and soon I was patched up and sent back to SOH with some goop to put in the eye 3 times a day for the next 7 days.

All I have to do now is to manage the condition that caused it, namely blaphiritis. I don't have it bad but up until then I thought my itchy eyes were due to hayfever symptoms.. you live and learn.

3 comments:

Kathy G said...

My eyes are watering just thinking about your surgery! Glad you're feeling better.

MeHereNow said...

As a hayfever sufferer having that "something in your eye" feeling is hideous - I hope your eye heals quickly! *hugs*

Elaine said...

Oooohhh, NOOOOO.

Poor you!