12 February 2013

Sadness in Kernow

Trevor Grills, one of the Fisherman's Friends died yesterday following a tragic accident at Guildford at the weekend. I loved his rendition of the Last Leviathan and this poem by John Masefield perfectly sums up for me the life of a fisherman.


I must go down to the seas again, to the lonely sea and the sky
And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by

And the wheel's kick and the wind's song and the white sail's shaking
And a grey mist on the sea's face, and a grey dawn breaking.

I must go down to the seas again, for the call of the running tide
Is a wild call and a clear call that may not be denied;
And all I ask is a windy day with the white clouds flying
And the flung spray and the blown spume, and the sea-gulls crying.

I must go down to the seas again, to the vagrant gypsy life
To the gull's way and the whale's way, where the wind's like a whetted knife;
And all I ask is a merry yarn from a laughing fellow-rover
And quiet sleep and a sweet dream when the long trick's over.


To Trevor's family (and the fisherman's friends) my heartfelt sympathy, while at the moment the pain is very raw his memory will live long in his songs and the memories you have of him xx

No comments: