19 October 2009

Roasted Squash

I feel autumnal, the need to nest and hibernate is strong.. the lure of a nice dark, warm cave increasingly attractive lol...

So to while away the weekend, I made a batch of Roasted Squash goodies... which included soup, tart and tortilla roll bakes....

First of all I roasted my butternut squash, a favourite of mine, first of all rubbed with garlic and olive oil then baked until softened and browned..

For the soup scoop 1/3 of the flesh out of the tough skin and added to some vegetable stock and blitz until smooth, return to the pan and add some fresh corn, peas and tomatoes to the mixture.. serve with crusty fresh bread.

For the tart, roll out some puff pastry, into a rectangle, or smaller squares, and put 1/3 of the flesh roughly chopped onto the pastry, put some chopped tomatoes on, and top with grated mozzarella cheese (or you can use a blue cheese such as cambozola).. I dusted with some dried herbs and mustard mix, but go with your own flavours. Put in a hot oven for 20 mins until the pastry is cooked, serve in slices with a herb salad and fresh crusty bread.

Lastly the remaining 1/3 of squash mix chop up and add to some softened onion's and garlic mix and put them in rolled up tortilla's (makes 2)... place in an ovenproof dish, and cover with a tomato based sauce, I used spanish chicken sauce from the Knorr range. Sprinkle with a strong cheese, either mature cheddar or you can use mozarella.. and bake for 20-25 mins in a moderate oven... these taste delicious and make a greate vegetarian option for meals.

Enjoy

3 comments:

Hogdayafternoon said...

Ah, squash - a most under-rated veggie.

Bernard said...

Sorry...can't stand garlic.

Grammy said...

I love the way you say "I need to nest and hibernate"
That is me through out the winder. Then I come alive in spring.