20 May 2009

For Elaine's Family

Elaine's funeral is today at 1.15pm, and I am going to be having a very quiet reflective lunchtime today.

I never met Elaine in person, but in my year of blogging she was one of the first to give me a comment after I put in important things to do and number 9 was To read the books I have before I buy any more new ones. A fellow bookaholic she said she also had difficulties attaining that one.

When I started the blog, I hadn't anticipated getting comments from people, and yet I have come to treasure them all but most of all Elaine's and as a frequent visitor I looked forward to her comments, usually very positive and often humourous; she even enjoyed my jokes and undertook to do a meme because I asked nicely and she didn't want to offend.

I am going to miss her in my life, both for her comments and her own blog, and I wish I could be there to pay my respects to her family whom I know will miss her more but we will all share our memories of this wonderful lady in our own way.

In tribute I offer the poem (author Anonymous), possibly based on Mary Frye's Do Not Stand at my Grave and Weep or on a Native American Prayer. This version, I think, is beautiful and I hope Elaine would have approved of the words and thoughts that accompany this post.

I give you this one thought to keep -
I am with you still - I do not sleep.
I am a thousand winds that blow,
I am the diamond glints on snow,

I am sunlight on ripened grain,

I am the gentle autumn rain.

When you awake in the morning's hush

I am the swift, uplifting rush

Of quiet birds in circled flight.

I am the soft stars that shine at night.

Do not think of me as gone -

I am with you still - in each new dawn.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's a lovely poem and, as you say, I'm sure Elaine would have liked it. I find myself unable to settle to anything today. We will all miss her.