06 January 2009

Memories

Hog Day Afternoon prompted this post, when he wrote a comment on the Saturday Satire Post - The case for the Prosecution.

Years ago, Dad used to work as a Night Porter at Moore House Hotel in Aspley Guise, and he used to travel down to work at 11pm, which co-incided then with pub closing time and the local plods were out and about trying to catch drink drivers.

They duly flagged Dad down, with some excuse, and asked if he had had a drink.

Dad duly responded with yes, he had and was duly breathalysed.

This turned out to be negative, and the officers concerned were asking him what exactly he had drunk that evening, and Dad's response of a cup of coffee went down like a lead balloon with Bedfordshire's finest.

After a momentary silence, the officer said "when we asked if you had a drink tonight, we meant alcohol"

Dad simply looked at him and replied "you didn't specify that at the time, you asked if I had had a drink and I told you I had, you then didn't enquire what it was I drank. If you had asked the right questions you would have got the right answers."

The officers couldn't say very much, just told him to get on his way.

When he told Mum and I the following day, we laughed along with him. It was just the sort of dry humour he had and I could imagine his conversation with the Police Officers and their disappointment in thinking that he was driving after drinking

7 comments:

Elaine said...

Lucky he didn't get charged with wasting police time!

Anonymous said...

Hi Sage,

Totally unrelated to this post, but I just wanted to wish you, and yours, a Very Happy New Year!

I hope it will be a good one for you :-D

Lins x

Nicey said...

Dads are Ace !!!
Laters

Nicey

Annette said...

I would have loved to have seen the look on their faces.

Kathy G said...

I wouldn't have the nerve to speak to an officer like that! Your dad must have been quite a guy

Deb said...

I love this post - brought a smile to my face. A point for Dad! I enjoyed my visit to your blog - very comfortable place you have created here! I will be back - I am curious about the pet situation!

The W.O.W. factor! said...

Oh Sage! I would have adored your Dad! I do like those with a dry-sense of humor, they can really rile some people and it's fun to watch!
I hope you are having a good week...and warmer temps are on their way!
Hugs Dear Friend~
Barb