09 October 2008

In times of need....

With the current financial climate, the instability of the major banks/financial institutions, the time has come to cinch the money belt a little tighter.

With the cost of fuel being so high, the resultant increases in costs have hit across the board with food prices increasing.

I do try to shop for bargains, but can easily be lured by the promise of bogof (buy one get one free) and love the supermarket's finest products.. and farm produce but no more.. time to look to cheaper brands and reduce the bill to a more manageable level.

However, and it is a big however, I really don't want to buy into the mass marketed meat where the animals haven't had much of a life but those are generally the cheaper options. So how do I balance my cash and conscience?

5 comments:

Elaine said...

I am afraid I can no longer bear to buy supermarket meat and would rather eat more vegetable based meals in order to afford the meat that I do eat.

Nicey said...

MMmmmm a tricky one, agree with the principle but my lifestyle is a bit to far removed to put it into practice ...

Nicey

Janet said...

Being married to a vegetarian, I never get meat at home. Of course, I expect the hamburgers I eat at Burger King and the like do not come from cows that had a great life either. I may have to give it up myself. Sigh. I do like a good steak though.

Dark Side said...

I tend to buy cheaper tinned food and own brand bread but still always buy my meat from the butchers and in all honesty it's now cheaper then the Supermarket.

I couldn't give up my fresh cut meat though for anyone.

Brought up on a farm means you have high expectation of how meat should taste and with all the will in the world the Supermarkets will never match that...xx

Kathy G said...

I still buy meat from grocery stores, but eat smaller portions, or use it in a casserole or soup where a little goes a long way.